The Alberta government remains committed to helping lower-income families, seniors and others find a safe and affordable place to live.
To support affordable housing, government is responsible for:
- Ensuring Albertans of modest means have access to affordable housing that meets their basic needs
- Supporting a mix of existing and new housing options for families, individuals, seniors and Albertans with special needs
- Delivering capital grant programs to increase the Province's supply of affordable housing
- Monitoring housing agreements related to affordable housing units
- Ensuring the operations of the 36,000 provincially-owned and/or supported social housing units are managed effectively
- Managing the delivery of rent supplement programs and other grant initiatives
Government works with over 340 organizations, including municipalities, housing management bodies, non-profit and private sector organizations to ensure housing for Albertans in need.