Seniors financial assistance and benefits

Are you eligible?

You may apply for the Seniors Financial Assistance (SFA) programs offered by the Government of Alberta if you meet all of the eligibility requirements:

  • you are 65 years of age or older;
  • you have lived in Alberta for at least 3 months immediately before applying;
  • you are a Canadian citizen, or have been admitted into Canada for permanent residence (landed or sponsored immigrant); and
  • you or your spouse have not chosen to defer receipt of Old Age Security Pension. (Alberta Seniors Benefit, Special Needs Assistance, and Dental and Optical Assistance for Seniors Programs)

Step 1

Step 2

Once you are enrolled in the SFA programs (you need only apply once), you can then apply for any of the available programs below.

Note: Your level of assistance is based on the specific criteria for each program. If you require assistance from one of the programs, you may be required to fill out an application form for that program.

Assistance programs

  1. Alberta Seniors Benefit Program — Provides a monthly income supplement to federal income sources to eligible Alberta seniors.
  2. Special Needs Assistance — Provides a lump-sum payment to assist eligible seniors with the cost of appliances and specific health and personal supports.
  3. Dental and Optical Assistance Programs — Provides basic dental coverage and optical assistance to a set amount, based on your total annual income.
  4. Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program — Allows eligible senior homeowners to defer all or part of their annual residential property taxes through a low-interest home equity loan.
  5. Seniors Home Adaptation and Repair Program — A new low interest home equity loan program to help seniors finance repairs or adaptations to their homes.

Update your contact information

It is important to keep your contact information up-to-date to ensure you receive your benefits. Contact us if you:

Cancel ASB benefits

To stop receiving Alberta Seniors Benefits and avoid overpayment of benefits, contact us:

  • when you move out of Alberta
  • to report the death of a recipient — Please have the Personal Health Number of the individual available when calling. The Personal Health Card (AHCIP card) of a deceased person should be discarded in a secure manner.