Special Needs Assistance for Seniors (SNA) Program
The SNA program provides a lump-sum payment to eligible low-income seniors. This program provides assistance with some of the cost of appliances and some health and personal supports.
A senior’s or senior couple’s total annual income, residence and marital status, and the items requested are used to determine the amount funded. The maximum assistance available is $5,000 in a benefit year.
As of July 1, 2016, SNA will no longer fund home repairs. Home repairs completed and paid for prior to July 1, 2016 may be considered. All receipts must be received by the program within 12 months of the date of service.
The Seniors Home Adaptation and Repair Program is a new low-interest home equity loan program to help seniors finance repairs, adaptations and renovations to their homes. A maximum loan of $40,000 is available to seniors and senior couples with an annual total income of $75,000 or less, and who have a minimum 25 per cent equity in their home.
For more information on SHARP or to request an application form please call the Alberta Support Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992, or 780-644-9992 in Edmonton from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday to Friday. Or download the Seniors Home Adaptation and Repair Program Application Package.
To be considered for SNA, you must:
- be enrolled in the Alberta Seniors Benefit program or submit a Seniors Financial Assistance application
- be 65 years of age or older
- be an Alberta resident
- be a Canadian citizen or have been lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence
- not have voluntarily deferred the receipt of Old Age Security.
A single senior with a total annual income of $26,965 or less, or a senior couple with a total combined annual income of $43,785 or less, may be eligible to receive assistance. Read more about SNA income levels.
- If you receive a SNA benefit, you may be asked to provide receipts (an accounting) for the goods and/or services funded by the program.
- If your request for benefits is denied or if you disagree with the amount of benefits you receive, you can appeal the decision.
- If you have questions or require additional information, please call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992, or 780-644-9992 in Edmonton from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday to Friday.
The benefit year starts July 1 of one year and finishes June 30 of the following year. Eligibility for most items and services is based on the date of service (the date the item or service was purchased).